Franciscan Church. Kremenets

Franciscan Church. Kremenets

Firtsak Boris
canva, acrylic, 82 x 107, Kyiv, 2007

The Franciscan church was built in 1606 at the cost of the Wiśniewiecki princes. After liquidation by the tsarist authorities, the Franciscan monastery was transferred in 1832 to the Orthodox Church.

The Church was built in the Gothic-Renaissance style. It is single-nave with a square plan, and domed chapel on the south facade. In the mid ХVІІІ century the church received a Baroque finish, and has also been extended at the side aisles and porch. The gate tower was rebuilt in Baroque style (architect P. Giżycki).

Today it is a 3-nave temple with a rectangular plan porch and domed chapel. The former Franciscan church is used as an Orthodox sobόr of St. Nicholas.

Source:

  • Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры Украинской ССР, Т. 4, Киев 1986
  • Świątynie na Wołyniu, J. Wółczański, J. Walczewski, Kraków 2000