Holy Trinity Church and Saint Michael the Archangel. Poryck

Holy Trinity Church and Saint Michael the Archangel. Poryck

Firtsak Boris
canva, acrylic, 76 x 100, Kyiv, 2008

Poryck - a village in the former Volhynia region, which was the seat of one of the oldest aristocratic Russian families – Porycki princes. In the sixteenth century Poryck became the property of Zbaraski, then Koniecpolski and Zachorowski, and from 1694 throughout the ХVІІІ and ХІХ century – the Czackich family. In one of the largest Republic palaces, which was built in the first half ХVІІІ century and rebuilt in a classical style in the early nineteenth century, Tadeusz Czacki opened the Krzemieniec high school, he created one of the richest libraries and collections of historical memorabilia. She was transferred to a secondary school, and after its closure taken to Pulawy, today, its remains are located in Kyiv. The palace itself burned in 1916, by the Austrians. A fire, but this time provoked by the Russians, destroyed, in 1915, the rococo-classical church of the Holy Trinity and Saint Michael the Archangel, which was built as an offering by Michael and Constance Czackich. From the church was stolen very costly vestments and gobeleny, and in 1920 the Bolsheviks took the heart of Czacki, which was in the temple. Rebuilt after a fire in 1943, it became a the place the murder of 200 Poles. After the war, destroyed and burned, it was completely dismantled. The tragedies in 1995 are remembered by 3 high metal crosses in the cemetery, and since 2003, a monument with the names of the victims- it is one of the few places which remembers the slaughter in Volhynia.

Source:

  • Encyklopedia Kresów, Wydawnictwo Kulczyński, Kraków, 2007, s. 364 – 365