It was founded by one of the sons of Galicia - Volhynia Prince George of Lwowicza (Andrew or Lion). Initially, it was a powerful claim, and in the second half of the fifteenth century, the castle was transformed into an aristocratic residence. In the years 1442, 1453, 1512, 1519 was devastated by the Tartars and rebuilt. In the sixteenth century, the castle construction began in the traditions of the Italian Renaissance: in the defensive walls was built bunk buildings, chapel and tower. Significant changes have taken place in a castle in the years 1520 to 1620. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, the south side of the castle was built a regular Italian park. From 1682 to 1687 are being renovated and expanded storage room, renews the park. Since 1719, the building had been renewed and transformed into a beautiful palace, park statues adorrned by the works of French sculptor Leblana. After the 1838 earthquake the castle crumbles, in the late nineteenth century, is complete ruin. In 1930 there was a partial restoration of the castle.
With the reconstruction in the years 1961 - 1965 the castle was returned to the appearance of what was in the eighteenth century. Rooms of the first and second floors were turned into the museum, some were reconstructed as to the original interior.
In 1975, there was opened a branch of the Lviv Gallery of Painting.