Church of the Discalced Carmelites. Lviv
pen ink, 40 x 30, Kyiv, 2006
The temple was built in 1643 on the territory of the monastery fortified by the Italian architect Giovanni Pokorowicza and is a staple of early Baroque in Lviv. There were not used elements of monumental architecture, and decoration was reduced due to poverty. The contemporary state was reached after the reconstruction in the years 1835-1839, when the architect A. Wądraszka built the north tower, and also after massive conservation work in 1906 under direction of architect W. Gaelic , which added a second tower of the temple and the Baroque symmetrical peaks.
Even today you can see the remains of defensive walls of the monastery, which were developed simultaneously with the church. In 1704 the monastery was a genuine claim, after a long siege it was surrendered to the army of King Karl XII of Sweden, and was badly damaged.
At the time of German occupation the complex of the Carmelite was the most prominent center of Polish cultural life. Until 1944, soloists performed here, and even an illegal symphony orchestra, performing religious and patriotic songs.
The interior is adorned by the main altar, made of black and red marble by the famous Lviv sculptor O. Prochenkowicza, in the ХVІІ century. Artistic murals were made by the Italian painter Journal K. Pedretti and his student B. Mazurkiewicz.
Today the Carmelite Church is an Orthodox Church of Michael the Archangel.