Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Yazliwets
canva, oil, 90 x 100, Chernivci, 2007
In the 30’s of the XX century the Maintenance Board of Lviv, Ternopil and Stanislavsky regions made a list of monuments, in which it is written: "Yazlivets, parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the era - 1590, the style - late Gothic, Renaissance, the owner - the parish of latin faith. Measurements - an oblong plan, the main facade M 1:100. Church was built in 1590 by Nicholas Yazlivetski, governor for the Dominikans, which existed till 1788- until the liquidation of the monastery by the Austrian government. After this the monks moved to Chertkovo, their property was sold, the monastery and the church was turned into a military storage. In 1824 archbishop Ankowicz of Lviv, was permitted to turn the church over to the parish. The church was, however, turned over in 1830. Is a huge one-nave church covered inside with a flat wooden ceiling of the nineteenth century. Polygonal apse has late-gothic vault. The front has a huge quadrilateral tower. A defensive nature of the church is given by two semicircle towers adjacent to the nave, creating a transept. From the north side to the apse are adjacent sacristies. The facades have a beautiful late-renaissanceportal and a more modest one on the main facade. Exterior design is of the nineteenth century. In the vestibule is a modest tomb of the Polish composer Nicholas Gomulka, who died in 1609, which was moved here from the cemetery. The church was surrounded by a stone fence. " Unfortunately, the works of art at the Dominican church today do not know. The building of the monastery - lost, but we know that in 1642 the Dominicans started to build a new monastery, two floors. Due to the date, we can assume that this was a unique monument of the Renaissance. Yazlivets church was in function as a sanctuary by the end of World War II. After 1945 the church was used as a storage for alcohol. Today the temple is in ruins. Inside are preserved fragments of the frescos in the vaults of the chancel. Three Renaissance portals survived, which are in very bad condition.