Church p.w. Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Ugniev

Church p.w. Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Ugniev

Slavinski Alexander
author's paper, marker, 30 x 50, Kyiv, 2006

The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, built by architect W. Lenartowicza’s project in 1642. After a fire in 1680, the church had suffered, and in 1695 had been renovated. At the time of restoration and construction work in 1922, under the plaster of the facade an inscription was found with the name of the architect and the construction date.

A temple of brick, single- nave, with two towers on the western facade, built in Baroque style. It consists of four, rectangular, decreasing in volume spaces on one axis: the nave, choir and the adjacent rooms. The main facade with the expanded cornice is flanked by two-storey towers, with Baroque finish. The architecture has a rich decoration of facades, charactaristic to the baroque style.

The church is one of the outstanding works of baroque architecture.

Today the temple is in a state of total ruin.

104{

Construction of the church began in 1672 and was completed in 1703. The authors of the project were Korassini and K. F. Beno. The work of decorating the interior lasted until 1737. In 1877 the painter F. Fabijanski made monumental paintings in the interior. In the ХІХ century outside buttresses were added. In 1882 the church was rebuilt after a fire. The crypt under the church housed the tomb of the Potocki family, who were founders of the church.

The church stands on the central square in historic downtown Stanislaviv (now Ivano-Frankivsk) and is one of the architectural staples. A building of brick, plastered. It is a type of domed 3-nave basilicas with transept and the two towers, which flank the western facade. The central dome on the outside is marked only by the two-level turret.

The monument constructed in the late baroque style of European forms, with broad application of symbolic orders that are treated in the pilasters. Inside the vault of the nave is in the shape of the cross. Restoration and construction works were carried out between 1980 and 1993.

The temple is one of the major monuments of the Baroque style in Galicia.

In the days of Soviet power, in the room of the church was a museum of art.

Source:

  • Górska A., Kresy. Przewodnik. Skarby kultury. Zabytki. Tradycja. Informacja turyczna, Kraków
  • Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры Украинской ССР, Т 3, Киев 1985
  • Пам’ятки архітектури містобудування України, ред.. А. П. Мадера, В.В. Печерського, Київ 2000